What Is a Product Detail Page?
Also known as a PDP, a product detail page is an important component of an ecommerce site that provides detailed information about a specific product or service. Product detail pages are critical to any online shopping experience because consumers like to be as informed as possible before making a purchase. An effective product detail page explains as much about the product as possible so that consumers can glean the value proposition of their potential purchase.
What Are the Key Elements of a Product Detail Page?
The specifics outlined on a product detail page might include a product’s size options (e.g., for apparel), dimensions of the item, color choices, price, customer reviews, and other information consumers might consider to be helpful before making a purchase.
An absolute must for any product detail page is at least one photo, but more are always better. Include photos from as many angles as possible and ensure the photos are of high quality and resolution.
A product detail page can feature strategically placed CTAs (calls to action) throughout the page if the page runs long. These buttons can encourage shoppers to add the item to their shopping cart, add the item to a list of favorites, or fast-forward to an easy, one-click checkout.
In the eyes of the consumer, one of the most important inclusions in a product detail page is the ratings and reviews section. Amazing description copy for a product won’t mean much for consumers if they’re only presented with negative reviews and poor ratings. Even if you have only a few bad reviews, your decision to post this information goes a long way with consumers, who value transparency in order to build trust with a brand.
How Do Companies Use Product Detail Pages?
Businesses use product detail pages to give shoppers all the information they may need in order to make a buying decision. Because shoppers aren’t buying items in stores and therefore can’t touch and feel the item or see its actual size, they rely on product detail pages to help them visualize the product as if it were sitting right in front of them. With product detail pages, the more information, the better.
What Are Some Product Detail Page Best Practices?
To create product detail pages that will lead to sales, consider implementing the following best practices.
- Be creative to capture a shopper’s attention. This can be done by jazzing up the product’s title, the description copy, and even through the photos.
- Use descriptive language to draw shoppers in while also including SEO-friendly keywords. If the shopper isn’t already in love with your product based on the title and images, the description copy is your chance to explain how this product will solve their existing problems or satisfy a specific need.
- Only use high-quality photos from as many angles as possible. To take it a step further, add videos of the product in use, or photos that show the product’s dimensions. This should go without saying, but make sure your images accurately reflect what your product looks like.
- Avoid surprising your customers with unexpected shipping or extra fees. Include all shipping information on the product detail page so they know what they’re going to have to pay when all is said and done.
How Can Brands Optimize Their Product Detail Pages?
In addition to the best practices mentioned above, there are other ways to really optimize your product detail pages and stand out from other ecommerce sites.
- Add product comparisons that show side-by-side comparisons with similar products. If a customer is contemplating between two very similar items, create a chart or images that display the specs for each. This gives them a way to see the pros and cons of each product and helps them narrow down the option that is best for them without having to switch back and forth between product detail pages.
- Cross-sell with complementary products. Within the product detail page, add a section that shows shoppers other items they may be interested in. Sophisticated algorithms can pull similar items from your ecommerce catalog or pull items that might complement the item of interest, like filters for a water pitcher, for example. Putting this information on the product detail page makes it easier for shoppers to add the items they need to their cart without having to perform a separate search.
- Add customer review previews that link to the full list of reviews. Did you know 93.4% of consumers rely on customer reviews when deciding whether to make a purchase? This section of your product detail page carries heavy weight and should be prominently placed on your site. Such social proof increases your credibility as a business and helps consumers start to build trust with your brand and products.
- Returns and refund requests happen. Not everyone will always be 100% satisfied with a product or service. To convey that you’re open to accepting returns and in yet another effort to build trust with consumers, add your return policy, product guarantees, and warranties to your product detail page. If the copy is too long, compress the full copy and offer shoppers the ability to expand the section if they want to read more.
- Not everyone has time to read your full product detail page, especially if you’re filling it with as much information as possible. Early on the page, include a bulleted list to make all the major points easy to grasp for people who are just scanning and don’t have time to get into the specifics.
- After reading the reviews, learning the specs, and reading up on the product warranty, if a shopper still has questions, direct them to an FAQ section that includes commonly asked questions and answers that purchasers might have about the product.
- Optimize for mobile. It’s likely that the majority of shoppers are scrolling on their mobile devices. Websites can get tricky if they’re not optimized for mobile devices, so ensure your entire site is ready for a mobile audience.
A product detail page may be the deciding factor when a consumer is trying to decide whether to purchase a product. But by following the best practices above and including the necessary components to land a sale, you’ll build a powerful product detail page that will lead to conversions.
- 3 Tips for Writing Awesome Product Descriptions
- Use This Unfair Conversion Advantage
- Coffee & Conversions: Rishi Rawat, Product Page Optimization Specialist, Frictionless Commerce